This week we caught up with Andree Marie, a stylist from South London who works out of Sandra Webb Hair and beauty, Clapham and writes a fab blog, one of our favourites from a stylists point of view and covers everything hair, work to personal. You should most definitely check it out!
1. How long have you been hairdressing?
Officially including training since January 2009, so 4 years.
2. Where did you train?
I did an apprenticeship with Croydon college.
3. What does your average client ask for?
It can range from Anything from a wash and set to a relaxer or a weave, it really depends on the client.
4. What kind of style do you enjoy creating most?
I generally enjoy restyling the most, I love it when a client comes in and wants to change their look, whether its a colour, cut or even way of styling (ie weave or wig)
5. Have you entered into any competitions or won any awards?
I was part of the Winning styling team of the year 2010 at the black hair and beauty awards. I have since been a finalist in numerous categories but I want my own trophy one day x
6. Name some of your favourite shoots you have been involved with.
I love doing salon shoots and magazine shoots, it’s always great to step out of my comfort zone.
7. Have you worked with any celebrities?
I did some work with model and actress Elarica Gallacher and a few others here me there.
8. What is your view on the natural vs. relaxed debate?
I think it’s a much bigger deal than it needs to be, I have been natural most of my life and also have had relaxed for about 6 years and enjoyed both textures, I just like my hair natural more. It’s a choice and at the end of the day whether its relaxed or natural it needs to be healthy.
9. Are you natural or relaxed?
I have natural hair
10. How many times have you seen ‘bad hair’?
I mostly see hair that needs tweaking rather than outright bad. Having said that I am still not 100% about some of these lacefronts….
11. Do you endorse any products?
I don’t endorse any products but I do work a lot with Avlon products so I am always testing out some of their stuff.
12. You have a great blog! How often do you post and what do you love to write about?
Thank you… I try to post at least once a week and once a week on my YouTube but ideally I would love to put something up 2-3 times a week of time would allow it.
13. What do you think of NoScrunchie? (Be honest!)
I like the concept of it, it’s all about customer service.
14. What was your worst salon experience before you started styling hair?
I went for a trim when I had relaxed hair and left with a big bald patch jn my hair. Within a week I had been there 3 times and ended up with my hair practically shaved off.
15. How would help your career if your clients rated you on NoScrunchie?
Good ratings are always great as positive feedback keeps people coming back and recommending…
16. Give us your predictions for future hair trends.
I do love ponytails and playing around with them.
Bobs! I love all sorts of bobs but asymmetrical bobs should come back..
17. Give us 3 brilliant hair tips!
A simple hair routine goes a long way and is always best in my books. Don’t overdo it, if you keep testing your hair your hair will test you!
A good treatment once a month will help your keep your hair on a healthy journey, you need to know what your hair needs and don’t over do it with the protein treatments
Don’t over do it… I would avoid washing my hair more than once a week, it dries it out and just strips it of all its oil.